Background and Status
In Turkey the studies on energy efficiency and increasing usage of renewable energy resources in the end use sector since 1981, had been carried out by General Directorate of Electrical Power Resources Survey and Development Administration (EIE) being bound to the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources. However, in the scope of the “Decree Law numbered as 662” published in Official Gazette on November 2, 2011, the General Directorate of Electrical Power Resources Survey and Development Administration had been abolished and General Directorate of Renewable Energy has been established in order to execute the studies of EIE. General Directorate of Renewable Energy is one of the main departments of the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources and it conducts studies in the main axes like energy efficiency and renewable energy. General Directorate of Renewable Energy will continue to fulfill the same functions and services performed by EIE at the past
Mission and Services
According to “Decree Law numbered as 662” published in Official Gazette on November 2, 2011 and the approval of Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources, General Directorate of Renewable Energy has following task;
- to make measurements for the identification and evaluation of all energy sources of the country by giving priority to renewable energy resources such as power, wind, geothermal, solar, biomass and others, to prepare feasibility studies and the sample implementation projects, to develop pilot system in cooperation with research institutions, local governments and civil society organizations and to carry out promotion and consultancy activities,
- to create awareness on efficient usage of energy in industry and buildings, to carry out the activities for this purpose,
- to monitor and control the energy efficiency projects and research and development projects approved by the Energy Efficiency Coordination Board,
- to follow and assess the efforts and developments in the fields of renewable energy and energy efficiency, to determine the research and development’s priorities and targets in accordance with the country's needs and conditions, in this direction to fulfill the research and development work and to provide the results of studies with economic analysis to the public,
- to develop projections and proposals for the evaluation of renewable energy sources and the improvement of energy efficiency
- to determine the economic potential on energy resources, make projections, prepare the legislation, master plan, and feasibility and demonstration projects, develop pilot system in cooperation with research institutions, local governments and civil society organizations and to carry out promotion and consultancy activities in the field of renewable energy,
- to carry out studies on effective and efficient use of energy resource and energy at every stage from generation and consumption for the benefit of country; to determine energy saving potentials, support energy efficiency projects and make voluntary agreement; to provide training and certification services on energy management, audit and preparation of energy efficiency projects; to authorize universities, chamber of engineers and energy efficiency consultancy companies in the field of energy efficiency,
- to make studies on the performance indicators, projections, integrated resource planning, standards and product performance tests; to monitor and assess the technological developments in the country and around the world; to create the national energy inventory and keep it up to date; to establish the energy information and technology center in order to conduct this work in the areas of energy efficiency and renewable energy sources,
- to develop knowledge and awareness on the use of energy and energy resources in the society and raise public awareness,
- to ensure coordination in order to develop effective and efficient cooperation between public organizations and institutions, universities, private sector and civil society organizations concerning energy efficiency and collaborate with similar national and international organizations in other countries,
- to form an opinion on the applications made for the purpose of obtaining a license based on wind and solar energy according to Electricity Market Licensing Regulation within the framework of regulation enforced by Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources,
- to develop energy efficiency policies and strategies, carry out or coordinate all necessary studies on implementation and coordination of policies and strategies,
- to monitor and assess hazardous waste and emissions in energy consumption points, monitor the studies on carbon capture, storage and trading in the world and carry out studies on this subject in the country,
- to carry out control activities and make inspections in the scope of Energy Efficiency Law and Law on Utilization of Renewable Energy Sources for the Purpose of Generating Electrical Energy.
Energy Efficiency Activities
General Directorate of Renewable Energy’s energy efficiency activities focus on training, audit, authorization of universities, chamber of engineers and energy efficiency consultancy companies, supporting of energy efficiency projects, voluntary agreements, awareness, statistics, modeling, survey, monitoring, project development and management, secretariat of Energy Efficiency Coordination Board and development of strategies and legislation.
Energy audits in industrial plants and commercial buildings have been conducted up now to create awareness, to identify the energy saving potentials and to help the establishment of energy management systems.
Training programmes for the certification of energy managers has been carrying out at national and international level since 1997 for the industrial sector and also energy manager training program has been going on for the building sector at national level since 2006. This training program has been extended for energy efficiency consultants as of 2009. At the international level international energy management courses for the Asian, Balkan and Middle East countries have been held since 2002 to share knowledge and experience in Turkey with region countries.
General Directorate of Renewable Energy has also responsibilities on authorizing and monitoring of chamber of engineers, universities and energy efficiency consultancy companies for conducting of energy efficiency services, providing of financial supports/incentives for the energy efficiency projects and carrying out of voluntary agreement in industry.
Awareness studies on energy efficiency are conducted to cover organisation of energy efficiency week every year and national energy efficiency forum, publications (brochures, posters etc.), spot films and TV programmes, organisation of events (seminar, symposium, conferences etc.), implementation of demonstration projects and energy efficiency contests among the students and industrial plants.
Renewable Energy Activities
Turkey gives significant importance to encourage the energy production using renewables in a cost effective manner. The main target is to reach to %30 of total electricity production from renewable energies until 2023. In order to manage this target, some laws put into force and also some amendments have been still preparing. General Directorate of Renewable Energy is responsible mainly for promotion and support of renewable energy through setting necessary legislation, determination of wind, solar and biomass potentials, technology verification and cooperation to increase the amount of energy generated from renewable resources through pioneer pilot projects and R&D studies.
Main studies in the field of renewable energies, particularly, wind and solar energies are as follows:
a- Wind Energy
- Technical assessment of the license applications in the analysis and evaluation stage based on wind energy,
- Wind power plant (WPP) project control and conformity of licensed applications prior to construction period,
- The inspection of WPP projects during the construction phase,
- Provides support to public legal entities that wish to invest in WPPs as to wind measurements, ground surveys and feasibility studies upon demand,
- Wind power prediction,
- Wind energy measurements for at least one year and service data to public
- Prepares wind energy potential atlas
- Provides the wind source information for a specific coordinate as a rough guide.
- Conducting various kinds of wind energy promotional activities.
b- Solar Energy
- Solar energy measurements,
- Prepares solar energy potential atlas,
- Provides support to public legal entities that wish to install a solar power plant,
- Thermal performance tests for solar plate collectors with the aim of supporting the manufacturers for a more efficient production.
- Conducting various kinds of solar energy promotional activities (solar cooker, grid-connected photovoltaic system, photovoltaic traffic warning system, photovoltaic area lighting, photovoltaic, water pumping systems, etc.).
In addition to this, pilot projects like a HYBRID Project is developed by General Directorate of Renewable Energy consisting of wind and pumped storage hydroelectric power plant in order to utilize more wind energy in electricity generation without critically effect the network system stability. HYBRID Project developed by General Directorate of Renewable Energy, has also a special importance since it will be the first Project in the world of its kind. General Directorate of Renewable Energy also has studies for establishment of a Centre called “Wind Power Monitoring and Forecast Centre (RITM)” through the Project of “Electric Power Generated from Wind Monitoring, Forecast and Manage System in Turkey” for monitoring and forecast of wind to utilize wind energy potential of our country with utmost benefit by integrating the highest number of wind power plants into the network. General Directorate of Renewable Energy is also responsible for supervision and control activities of the operation of the Hydropower Projects constructed under the Built Operate and Transfer Law 3096.
General Directorate of Renewable Energy has developed close cooperation with in some countries and organizations to conduct projects on energy efficiency and renewable energy. Presently, seven projects on energy efficiency which have been carrying out or koodinated by General Directorate of Renewable Energy are given below;
- “Third Country Training Programme” (a training course in the field of Energy Efficiency and Management in Industry)
Project PartnersJapan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and Turkish International Cooperation and Development Agency (TIKA)
- “Project on Improving of Energy Efficiency in Industry” supported by Global Environment Facility (GEF)
Project Partners: Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology, Small and Medium Industry Development Organization (KOSGEB), Technology Development Foundation of Turkey (TTGV), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- “Project on Promoting Energy Efficiency in Buildings in Turkey” supported by Global Environment Facility (GEF)
Project Partners: Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, Ministry of National Education and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- “Project on Market Transformation of Energy Efficient Appliances in Turkey” supported by Global Environment Facility (GEF)
Project Partners: Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology, Association of Turkish White Goods Manufacturers (TURKBESD), Arçelik A.? and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- “Project on Development of Monitoring and Evaluation of Energy Efficiency in Turkey”
Project Partners: NL Agency
- “Demonstration Project for Energy Efficiency in the Wastewater Sector of Turkey”
Project Partners: Municipality of Nigde, and NL Agency
- “Near Zero Zone Project” in cooperation with Department of Energy of USA and Ataturk Organized Industrial Zone in Izmir in Turkey
Mr. Erdal Çalikoglu
Deputy of General Director
General Directorate of Renewable Energy, GDRE
Eskisehir Yolu 7. km No:166
06520 Cankaya - Ankara, Turkey
Phone: +90 312 295 50 20 Fax: +90 312 295 50 34